Ways to Give
Gifts of Cash
An outright gift made in the form of cash, check or credit card is usually the simplest, most convenient method for making a charitable contribution.
To make a gift to support the Senior Center right now you can:
- Donate Online, via our secure webpage;
- Mail your gift to the Senior Center at 1180 Pepsi Place, Charlottesville, VA 22901;
- Give your gift in-person at the Senior Center’s Welcome Desk;
- Call our philanthropy staff at 434.974.7756.
Tributes & Memorials
Charitable donations are a meaningful way to celebrate with a family member or friend or remember the legacy of a loved one.
The Center notifies the person honored or the family of the loved one remembered that a gift has been made (no gift amounts are shared) as well as acknowledges their meaningful gestures on our tribute and memorial webpage and in the Center’s Annual Report.
To ensure your tribute or memorial is noted properly, be sure to include with your gift:
- the name of the person you are honoring or memorializing;
- and the name and mailing address for the person you’d like us to notify (if different from who’s being honored).
The Sustainers Circle
The Sustainers Circle is a special group of friends who sustain our most important work every day with monthly contributions. Members of the Sustainers Circle provide providing crucial underwriting to promote healthy aging through social engagement, physical well-being, civic involvement, and lifelong learning. To recognize their essential role, members receive special acknowledgement and benefits, including recognition in our annual report, invitations to round-table discussions and other special events, and our limited-edition Senior Center tumbler. Click here to learn more about the Sustainers Circle.
Stocks, Bond & Mutual Funds
Looking for a win-win opportunity? You can lower your taxes and support the Center by making a donation of stocks, bonds or mutual funds. By giving shares of stock (owned for at least one year), you can receive the same deduction you would for a cash donation while avoiding potential capital gains taxes.
Information for Brokers Facilitating Transfers
- Scottrade manages the Center’s securities transfers.
- The account name is Senior Center, Inc.
- Peter Thompson is the contact person.
- The DTC number for electronic transfers is 0705.
- Our account number is 72447377.
Gifts of Materials
Looking for ways to help the Center? Interested in buying or funding specific items that are needed? These items are needed to support our programs, administration and grounds.
- Blue, Black and Red ball point pens
- Black Sharpie markers (fine, medium & broad point)
- 8½” x 11” standard white or color copy paper
- One (1) Safco® Scoot™ Mail Cart, Black, 40 1/2"H x 22"W x 27"D, to keep the Yard Sale volunteers rolling. ($217)
- Two (2) folding, moveable, glassless mirrors, so exercise participants can follow the instructors more easily and improve their form. ($800 per mirror)
- Multiple (6-8) 5x10 foot x 1-3/8 inch Cheer Mats, so participants can work out and dance with less stress on their knees and backs.
Did you know that hundreds of companies match employees—and retirees—donations to qualified nonprofit organizations? Senior Center, Inc. qualifies for virtually all corporate matching gift programs, even if you are retired.
Here is a small sampling of companies that have matching gift programs:
Bank of America
Johnson and Johnson
Wells Fargo (Wachovia)
If your company is not listed here, UVa has a great site search available. You can also contact your current or former employer directly to learn more about your corporate matching gift program. Often times matching funding can be requested over the phone, by logging in to your company’s website, or by completely a simple form.
Combined Federal Campaign
The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) is the annual workplace fundraising drive conducted by Federal employees. The CFC began in the early 1960’s to coordinate the fundraising efforts of various charitable organizations so that the Federal donor would only be solicited once in the workplace and have the opportunity to make charitable contributions through payroll deduction. Federal employees continue to make the CFC the largest and most successful workplace philanthropic fundraiser in the world. Continuing a long-standing tradition of selfless giving, in 2010, Federal employees raised over #281.5 million dollars for charitable causes around the world. United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area serves as the Principal Combined Fund Organization (PCFO) for the Thomas Jefferson Area Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) and distributes designated funds to the Senior Center.
If you or your friends are interested in supporting the Center through this charitable campaign opportunity, please designate #92032 on your pledge form. For more information, visit the local CFC website.