Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to live in Charlottesville or Albemarle to join the Senior Center?
No, while 90% of our members live in one of these localities, we have members from Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Nelson, Orange, and even Augusta counties. You could live anywhere and be a member.
- How old do I need to be to participate?
Membership is open to anyone age 50 or better (and we don’t check identification!)
- Do I need to join as a member to participate?
No, you do not need to be a member to participate, that most of our programs are open to guests, but as a member, you can enjoy discounted rates on programs.
- Is the Senior Center accessible?
Yes. While the Senior Center was founded in 1960, we moved into our current facility in 1991 and it is fully accessible with adequate parking and an elevator.
- Is the Center designed for frail elders or active seniors?
Both. We have members ranging from age 50 to nearly 100 and our 2100 members have a variety of interests and abilities.
- If I don’t drive, how can I get to the Senior Center?
Yes. Charlottesville Transit Service routes come right to the Senior Center and JAUNT brings members right to our front door.
- If I visit can I get a tour?
Of course. All of our front desk volunteers or a staff member will be happy to give you a tour of our 17,000 square foot facility.
- What are your hours and how do I get there?
Our hours are as follows: Monday & Friday: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.;
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.;
Sunday: 2-6 p.m. Click here for directions.
- Are there volunteer opportunities?
Yes, both in the Senior Center and in the community. For details, click here.
- How is the Senior Center funded?
Since we receive no government or United Way funding, we are entirely funded through membership and program fees, fund raising events, and the generosity of local businesses, foundations, and individuals.
- How can I get more information?
Visit us at 1180 Pepsi Place at the corner of Greenbrier Drive or call 434-974-7756 for more information, including a copy of our newsletter.
- Are short term memberships available for visitors?
Yes. Visit our membership page for details.
- How is the Senior Center governed?
The Senior Center is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Our bylaws state that fully 50% of our Board must be members of the center
Senior Center, Inc. / 1180 Pepsi Place / Charlottesville, Virginia 22901
Phone: (434) 974-7756 / FAX: (434) 974-7510
||Last Modified: January 22, 2010 at 11:20
||Count: 12965 hits since July 09 2003